Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas Memories 2011

The "Christmas Plan" begins months before the actual event.

Tanner keeps and retrieves top-secret information on his flashdrive and periodically makes adjustments.
I've caught a glimpse or two of the detailed record-keeping he maintains.  "The Plan" contains Christmas Eve strategies designed to thwart Aaron's attempts at keeping the children from a middle-of-the-night "sneak-peak" at their gifts. 

Okay, truthfully, my good husband encourages this behavior!  I've learned that it is just part of the fun but I prefer to sleep through the raucous...

 Homemade streamers over the game table

The "Christmas Plan" also includes the activities for evening/all-through-the-night event.

 Pin the star on the tree


I later learned these stockings were filled with candy/goodies so I've decided to let the real Santa take next year off.  No reason for 'double-duty'.


The children were fairly occupied all Christmas Eve day which was helpful since I spent most of it in bed recovering from an awful night of food-poisoning (we ate a restaurant for Bob's b-day dinner the night before).  That evening we delivered packages for a Sub-for-Santa family and finished our 12 Days of Christmas project - caroling along the way.



Though I didn't have an appetite for all the yummies, Uncle Matt's chicken wings were a hit!

 
Our Christmas Nativity


Isn't Mary suppose to be riding the donkey?  Joseph, the cowboy, didn't think so.


We actually used a doll to represent "baby Jesus" - we've had our 'own' for the past 14 years.


Our annual tradition of opening one gift on Christmas Eve - the 
"pj theme" expanded to include a bedspread this year.


Christmas morning.


Quinn with the loot.


I  chuckled when Janene took notice of the playdough, finger paints and shaving cream Elsie received and said, "Wow--you really surprised me!"  Must be a desperate attempt to keep this girl occupied!





Opening a gift from Brinley was nearly as fun as receiving it.  
Layer after layer after layer of paper...

Kristen & Steven's wedding day in 1970 - IF Temple 

Two ultimate gifts - a family history book researched and compiled by Hilary from 1970-1985 and Aaron's completion of our family pics on video/music from 1996 - 2010.  These massive undertakings began over a year ago and took hours and hours of hard work. As a grateful recipient, much thanks to you guys!


After church, we joined Bob and Janene and Matt for dinner and later skyped with Jared and Stephanie's family.  It was a beautiful day in Hawaii!



Quinn waving good-bye to his cousins.

Merry Christmas to all our loved ones near and far!

3 comments:

Jared and Stephanie said...

Did the kids catch Aaron or did he still get around them?

Tiffany Salter said...

Wow- Tanner sounds like a more organized version of me! I wonder what I could have done with a flashdrive... lol (Scary to think about!) Glad you guys had a great Christmas. We are looking forward to seeing you next week.

Jeff & Liberty said...

Merry Christmas (just a bit late!) & Happy New Year too!