Sunday, December 11, 2011

Precious Gifts

This morning several of our children heard an ambulance siren in the distance.  It wasn't until Aaron called from the church a while later than we learned of the sudden passing of a member of our ward (went peacefully in his sleep - 'no medical explanation').  It was an absolute shock as this good gentleman was healthy and happily retired with his dear wife after raising a houseful of kids.  He was a former bishop and has served two missions with his wife and had just started another mission two weeks ago (local humanitarian work).  It was a difficult day for many at church as this man's influence in our community has been profound.  Aaron just returned from visiting with the family and assisting with some of the funeral arrangements.  Of course, the hardest part is knowing of the challenges ahead for his dear wife (the family is still in complete shock).  And so, today I am grateful for the gift of life itself and for the entire plan of happiness.  Moments like this remind me to live each day the best way I know how.

2 comments:

Stephanie Marcum said...

I agree. Thanks for the inspiration.

Julia Marcum said...

I always thought Tanner was so tall! It is fun to see him being towered over for once by someone his age. Happy Birthday, Tanner! We can't believe you are 14! In the words of Chris, "Tanner is 14??! Holy Crap!" Haha. We love you and think you are the coolest!