Sunday, January 8, 2012

Out with the old, in with the new...

  
During the break from school, the kids enjoyed a few relaxed days at home.



Have I mentioned the amazing weather we've enjoyed? 


We did get a dusting of snow before year's end - and a tour of the 'Boat House'.


It's been a landmark in the area for years.


The original homeowner was a building contractor.  When his first house was destroyed during the 1976 Teton Dam disaster, one of his sub-contrators/employees (a Scandanavian ship-builder by trait) suggested he 'build a boat' in its place.  And the rest is history.


The property adjoins a small trailer park and was recently purchased by a friend of mine (Rachel) as an investment situation.  She gave us a tour of the place before her 'renter' moved in.


The 'boat house' has remained in the family until now and has been meticulously kept.  There were some very interesting features but the stairs were just plain scary (for little ones).


Our tour continued on to another 'landmark' in the area.


I knew Rachel owned a few older homes in town that she converted to student housing a few years ago. What I didn't realize until recently was the fact that she had purchased my Great-grandmother's place.


This is the back of the house.  


Many of the doors/knobs are originals.  In time, electricity and plumbing were added but much of it remains the same.  It currently houses six female BYU-I students.


Local laws have recently passed which curtailed the ability for older homes to be converted to student housing.  With the need for higher-density housing around the university, Rachel has plans to knock down the four homes she owns (all kitty-corner to campus), and build a 5-story housing unit.

The memories and heritage of Annie Spori Kerr will continue to influence generations to come whether this house remains or not.


Later that day... 
the kids helped prepare lots of yummy food for our New Year's Eve celebrations.
We had another family join us for food and games.


Aaron and Mat working to repair Jantzen's remote-controlled helicopter.
No luck:(


Tanner joined us for a bit before joining friends for a multi-stake event up on campus.
I was asleep before he arrived home (staying up late is Aaron's job).


We helped ring in the New Year with confetti poppers...


And making toasts to a fantastic 2012...

7 comments:

Malinda said...

I love the boat house story. I also love that you have become such a consistent blogger. I need to follow your example.

larah said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful break.

Jeff & Liberty said...

Cool!

Jackie said...

If there is a chance before they knock down grandma's house I would love a chance to go inside one last time. I have a lot of memories there.

Jackie said...

If there is a chance before they knock down grandma's house I would love a chance to go inside one last time. I have a lot of memories there.

Kaylynn said...

I was a tiny baby in Idaho Falls when the Teton Dam broke. I remember it clearly or not. But the boat house story is cool. Happy New Year!

Kristen said...

Thanks for sharing photos of Grandma's house. I hope that we can see it before they knock it down.