Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Something(s) to Smile About...

 I've worked hard over the years keeping 'buds' out of the ears because I just don't think it's good for kids (long-term exposure).  Here's what I found the other day.


The funny part about this scene (besides the archaic disc-man) is the fact that Aaron and I included an audio system when we built our house so everyone could listen to music without wearing these things:).


We all enjoyed the duet recital Brinley participated in last Wednesday evening.  She and her partner played an awesome fiddle piece together!   Following the performance, Aaron went to his last HOA meeting as president.  It was a rough year in the HOA so finishing out his term was definitely something to smile about.


Notice anything different about Tanner's smile?
Yep -- bye-bye braces!


And bye-bye gerbils...
Tanner has taken good care of these guys but decided it was time to let somebody else enjoy them.


He sold his ipod touch last summer to help fund his latest hobby.
And for now, I think he's just going to focus on his fish.


Saturday morning I woke up to find Aaron finishing a fabulous surprise for me - he cleaned all the bathrooms!  I went to bed the night before my birthday and made the comment that I just didn't want to monitor/motivate the kids' chores on my birthday.  He took matters into his own hands.  And the kids thanked him too (though they still had a few other jobs to do).  Instead, I went to the temple and let Aaron run the morning routine.  It was dreamy.


Brinley made me a birthday cake with the letter H in red sprinkles and 39 chocolate chips.


Quinn and Elsie were so serious about singing "Happy Birthday". 
 It was hilarious - wish all of you could have heard them:)


The kids really spoiled me this year with their creations.


Don't you love the #1 Mom trophy?  It's actually a box with the kids' names inside.  It was explained to me that whenever I want something done, I just open the lid and draw a name out.  Magically, the willing participants jump right to it.  How cool is that?  I received everything from string art to a hot pad to $1.00 to buy my own Snicker's candy bar, etc. 

Thanks all for the birthday wishes and phone calls and balloons and lunch dates and chocolates.

39 and holding....

6 comments:

Malinda said...

I love all of the birthday gifts from your kids. So sweet! I want a magic trophy that makes my kids jump right to it when I ask them to do something. If they would do that, I would never ask for another gift again. :)

p.s. You make 39 look very young!

Stephanie Marcum said...

Happy late day. I am glad you got to have some time to yourself and a great party. Happy Happy Day.

Stephanie Marcum said...

Happy late day. I am glad you got to have some time to yourself and a great party. Happy Happy Day.

Hilary said...

Glad you had an awesome birthday. Congrats Tanner on getting your braces off! Britton only has about a million years to go. :-)

Kaylynn said...

That is quite the collection of creations. And you got Saturday morning off. Sounds like a great birthday! 39 and holding...

Anonymous said...

I missed your birthday! Wow - I'm a slacker, Heather, I'm sorry. It sounds like it was one of the best though and I'm glad that you had a great one. You sure deserve it. Love the posts...am going to try to keep up with them better this year. Love you so much. Erica